Confirmation is an important part of our journey of faith and an important time in the life of the church. It is the time when one takes ownership of their faith and decides if they are ready to make a public commitment to love God, follow Christ, participate in the life of the church, and join in God’s missional work in the word. Confirmation is not about helping youth check something off their list, but is about helping create a foundation for a lifetime of discipleship. At Fairfax UMC it is our joy to journey with each confirmand, surround them with love, and to help them discover what it means to claim the name Christian. We aim to help youth see how Methodism can be a faithful way to live as a Christ follower in the world. We are so excited to be on this journey with you and look forward to how God will shape our faith and community together during this adventure.
Confirmation 2019 will last from Feb 3–April 14 with Confirmation Sunday being on April 14 at the 9:30am service. Our confirmation program is open to all students in 7th-12th grade. We will meet every week from 9:30-10:30 am in room 310. Please read below to see all the components, requirements, topics, and dates of our program. Let us know if you have any questions—we look forward to being on this journey with you.
- Weekly gatherings on Sunday mornings from 9:30-10:30 am in room 310.
- One Dinner—one at the end of the program as a time of celebration.
- Scripture—Bibles will be given to each youth at the beginning of confirmation so that during our time together, we can discover how to engage scripture. Youth are expected to bring their Bibles each Sunday.
- Mentors—Each confirmand will be paired with an adult mentor who will be a guide during confirmation. See more information about the role of the mentor below.
- Confirmands will write a Faith Statement and Rule of Life. A faith statement is a reflection of what the youth’s theological beliefs are at this point in their faith journey. A rule of life is a set of practices that the youth will do as a way of continuing to grow and live out their faith.
- Confirmands will receive a variety of gifts during the confirmation journey including: A Bible, a devotional book, and a cross.
- Confirmation will have 1 trip with an optional 2nd. The 1st trip will take place during our regular time on Sunday morning March 10th—we will be participating in a prayer journey through our community, driving to several spots around Fairfax that represent different aspects of the life of our community and together we will learn what these places represent and pray for the people who are impacted by these places. The 2nd trip is optional, but definitely encouraged—March 15-17 all of our Jr. High students are invited to head to Goshen, VA for Journey Weekend with The Jeremiah Project. There is a cost of $150 for journey weekend. It is a wonderful experience that our Jr. High students have been impacted by.
- Expectations and Requirements—Youth must attend the two dinners, the prayer trip, and cannot miss more than 2 weekly sessions. Because our program is only ten weeks, missing multiple sessions means the youth misses out on a large percentage of the material and by missing multiple weeks they miss out on church community connections between their peers and adults. Lastly, youth need to be active in another area of the church such as attending congregational worship, youth group, or volunteering to help in another area/ministry.
On Sunday mornings we will be using literature and articles from a variety of sources that explore that week’s topic. Resources will be sent home so that families can stay in touch with what the student is learning about through their confirmation journey.
Role of the Mentor
Mentors will meet bi weekly with confirmand to reflect over weekly lessons. The last 30 minutes of our weekly meeting will be provided on those Sunday mornings (February 10, Feb 24, March 10, March 24, April 7). Mentors will also: attend both confirmation dinners, follow along with the readings from the program, pray continually for their confirmand, and help confirmands write a faith statement and rule of life.
2019 Confirmation Schedule
Feb 3- Who is God? (The Trinity) (Meet mentors)
Feb 10- Wesley and Methodism
Feb 17- The Bible
Feb 24- Remembrance/Accepting Grace (Focusing on The Sacraments)
March 3- Prayer
March 10- Prayer Journey through the community
March 15-17 No Confirmation (Journey Weekend)
March 24- Worship
March 31- A Loving Church, Missions, Living our faith out in the world
April 7- Writing out of faith statements and rules of life
April 27- Celebration Dinner
April 28- Confirmation Sunday (9:30 service)