Fairfax UMC continues to be a presence representing the teachings of Christ in our community. We have been certified as a welcoming congregation in the United Methodist Church, our Preschool was recognized in Northern Virginia Magazine, and we continue to work with organizations in our community to fight homelessness and poverty in the Fairfax area.
In order to determine the beginning of this church you first have to study the history of the Town of Fairfax. According to The Fairfax County Courthouse by Ross D. Netherton and Ruby Waldeck (pub. July 1977 by the Fairfax County Office of Comprehensive Planning) a courthouse was first built here in 1800 but no name given to the village until 1805. At that time, in an Act of the Assembly a town at the Fairfax Court House was to be established as Providence.
It is impossible for us to know exactly when our church was established. We believe we were in existence as early as 1800 but are unable to prove it. Legend is that we first met in a log cabin dating from about 1822. Legend also has it that we later shared the use of Payne Baptist Church at Fairfax Station with other congregations.
Following the war erection of a new church began. By 1879 a new building was in existence and our earliest church registers and quarterly conferences begin at this time. The new name for our church is Duncan Chapel and our town is now called Fairfax.
The year 1955 was the beginning of the end of all services and functions to be held in our old frame church. We had simply outgrown our facilities and with no room for expansion were forced to go elsewhere. The dedication service for our current home was held 5 August 1956 and our membership was now over the 1,000 mark. Our old facility was sold to the County of Fairfax and at one point was used for the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. Later, it was razed to enlarge the road which would lead from Rt. 123 to the new Massey Building. Since 1956 the sanctuary has been well extended and no less than three additions have taken place. By 1989 the membership had grown to over 3,000 and the staff greatly increased.